Today I’m going to start with the assumption that you already have a good definition of success for your own life, and that you’re already successful. What we want to talk about are seven incredible habits or routines that’ll make you even more successful.
1. Face reality at least once per quarter. Essentially, take a step away from what you’re doing, spend some time to be honest with yourself. And I mean brutally honest about what’s working and what’s not in your career, business, and life. Oftentimes we get so busy, so consumed with the day-to-day that we don’t spend time doing this. Tremendously successful people do this consistently.
2. Avoid excuses. I can’t tell you how many excuses people make, and they want validation from others. But most excuses are not valid, and they usually start with this: “I am too busy to…” Fill in the blank. That’s usually not a good excuse. Or, “I don’t have enough money to…” Now, obviously there are exceptions, but most people live their lives being held back by making too many excuses.
3. Get in shape physically. This involves the right food, the right exercise, and the right sleep.
4. Get in shape mentally. When was the last time you learned something new? Do you learn something new every day? Do you read? Do you listen to podcasts? Do you avoid constantly negative people, media, news, and entertainment?
5. Stay focused on one big thing per quarter or per year. We get distracted so easily by trying to do so many things at once. Focus on one big huge thing. That’s an incredibly powerful habit or routine for becoming more successful.
6. Measure with numbers or metrics, not just feelings. If you want to measure something in business or life, make it as quantitative as possible, not just qualitative. Basically, don’t focus on what you feel, but rather on what the numbers actually show.
7. Create some type of accountability or encouragement in all areas of your life. Whether you want to take your health to the next level, overcome an addition, or make more sales, be sure to have some form of accountability for each goal. Most likely, this will be a person, but could also be a technology. Accountability is a huge component of becoming more successful.
So go out, make it happen, and have a better than amazing week.