Today we’re going to look at why you need another leader on your team. Now, this is good information for everybody, but it’s especially vital for companies with around 2-20 employees. I have talked to many business owners in this category recently. They get to a certain point in their business and they get stuck because they don’t have another leader on their team.
So, why should you want another leader on your team? Three reasons:
1. You need someone to help execute the vision you have for your organization and carry out your ideas.
2. You need someone with the ability to coach, train, and lead other people on the team. Because if you’re doing all this solo, you’ll run out of time sooner or later.
3. Maybe you don’t need a second leader for the entire organization, but you could still benefit from finding someone who can lead a specific division or department within your company.
The other thing to think about is what skillsets you’ll need to develop in order to find the right person for this leadership role:
1. The willingness to let go and empower someone else. A lot of people started their business from scratch. They’ve done everything themselves. They get to a point where they need to let go but they don’t want But in order for the business to grow, you have to be able to give up control.
2. You need a way to find that person and to attract him/her to your company. Or if the ideal candidate is someone who’s already in your organization, do you have a way to properly train them and help develop their leadership skills?
3. Even if you are willing to let go, even if you find the right person, how do you lead a leader? The way you lead a leader is different from the way you lead everyone else. So are you receiving coaching and training yourself? Are you reading books on how to lead other leaders?
Those are some important things to think about. If your business is growing fast and you have too much on your plate, I encourage you to take action today and find another leader for your team. It’ll really help get you to the next level.